- Andrew Tzannes
- Oct 08, 2013
A great move starts with the right preparation.
From professional packing tips to helpful advice on moving with kids and pets, see our checklist below:
- It is Best to pack things you will need quick access to at your new home – like: kettle, glasses plates, cutlery, milk, coffee, sugar, sop, toilet paper etc – in a separate box. Also best to have linen, blankets and towels to setup your bed. Highlight boxes for easy location.
- Defrost, clean and dry your refrigerator the day before your move. Make sure you use up all “sensitive” food prior to your move to avoid throwing it out. Use an Esky to store and transport the leftovers from your fridge
- Take pictures and mirrors down and put all in one place.
- You should carry jewellery, documents and any money. Do not pack in boxes.
- Make sure you have marked all your ‘fragile’ boxes.
- Try to avoid leaving out lots of small items. Pack them into large boxes.
- Try to pack TV’s, computers and small appliances in there original boxes if they are kept.
Have all electrical cords wound up and taped.
- Use small boxes for heavy items such as books; CD’s, kitchenware etc. remember we are removalists not superheroes!!!!
- When packing boxes, try to line them with crushed paper and fill all the gaps with crushed paper also to avoid movement. Put heavy items first and light items on the top.
- Label packed items as to which room they should be placed on delivery
- Try using cartons instead of plastic bags. They provide privacy, reduce damage and are stackable. Bags aren’t.
- Disassemble any beds, swings, trampolines or items that cannot be moved without being taken apart.
- Do not use duck tape or sticky tape on your furniture, as it will remove its lacquer.
Use masking tape instead.
Before your move day
- Redirect all mail to your new mailing address.
- Notify your utility providers (water, gas, electricity) to have your service turned off after your move and to connect them at your new address.
- Notify us if you have changed anything about your move.
- Make arrangements to move your plants and pets. Make sure plants are drained of excess water.
- Check home insurance policies to see if moving is covered, if not call to organize with insurance company (or see our insurance page).
- Drain the fuel from lawnmowers and other power equipment.
- If a lift is needed at either end make sure to book it to save time.
- Disconnect all your white goods, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, etc.
- If there is only off street parking, please try to secure our truck a spot by parking your car there overnight.
At your new home
- Try to set up all the beds first .
- Dedicate a room to store all the boxes to avoid clutter in all the house.
- Have a plan as to where you want all your furniture. Take advantage of us being there so you don’t have to move everything again when we are gone.
- Be aware that you will not be able to switch your refrigerator on for at least 3 hours after the move.